Satan can get a stronghold in your life. One of his most excellent tactics is to tempt you into keeping sin a secret. If he can keep you living in the shadows of secret sin, he wins. Many people are running hard to get unstuck. Some have tried new spiritual disciplines: reading our bibles, worshiping God, attending church regularly and going to a small group, even seeking out professional therapy, only to find ourselves chained to that secret sin that goes unconfessed.
You and I need to break the back of Satan's strongholds. Never let sin live in secret and allowing Satan to lick his chops. You are designed to run free in the grace of God. Enjoying shame-free living is God's plan. And he wants to break the back of your enemy. Freedom is calling.
There are two avenues of confession:
- If we confess our sins to God, we step into the light of renewal. He washes us clean and scrubs our soul. Satan's back breaks, and we walk in fresh new freedom (Read I John 1:5-10). Agree with God on what he and you know to be true. Confessing it out loud is the very best way. Don't hold back. Lift your voice to God and experience the joy of your salvation freshly and powerfully.
- God's plan for confession also includes taking our sin to people. It is a powerful thing to share what was in the dark (James 5:16). Bringing secrets into trusted relationships binds us together. It strengths our resolve, builds accountability, and models what is true of us all – all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).
There are several nuances of secrets and confession that will protect us and those we love. Let me give you just a few:
- Confess secrets thoroughly and in full detail with God. Let God wash up the worst, and you'll be the better for it.
- Confess only what is necessary with people. The goal of confessing secrets is to get a fresh start. Never do you want to burden someone with details that may be harmful to that person. Ask the Holy Spirit to guide you and resist the request for more information if it will only heap unnecessary pain on another.
- Confess secrets with people who have proven to be trustworthy. These people need to full of the Holy Spirit. Spirit-filled people will help you discern who needs to hear if anyone at all. Some confession may carry with it the weight of loss. Some have lost relationships, physical freedom, or even trust. Relationships can be rebuilt, there is no freedom like spiritual freedom, and trust can be regained over time. The cost of keeping secrets will cause you never to prosper. But confession of secret sin will invite God's mercy – a gift we must take hold of (Proverb 28:13).
Break the back of Satan today. Don't let your secrets live in the shadows another moment. Let the mercy of God flood your soul.